Robert Sloan just called you to tell you that one of his Staff Accountants is planning to retire in 3 months. This gives you some time to walk through the hiring process with him. Please discuss your recommendations to him about how the following selection steps should be handled:
Identify the basic competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities) necessary for this job. (Give some specific suggestions on co mpetencies for this role)
Explain the benefits of a structured interview.
- Tell him the difference between open-ended, situational, and behavioral questions.
- Give him examples of each type of question (at least 9 questions: 3 open-ended, 3 situational, 3 behavioral).
- Talk to him about interviewing errors or biases that he needs to be sure to avoid.
- Discuss the types of questions Robert should avoid asking.
- Close the meeting with some general best practices regarding interviewing