To prepare for a huge EHRS implementation, a facility must first understand who the EHRS will serve, where information that flows into the system comes from and who the primary users of the system will be after it is deployed at the facility. Part 1 of the Course Project will complete each of these to support the facility executive team as they assemble an EHRS development team.
Review the course project description on the Module 01 Course Project Introduction page in order to understand the overall needs of the organization and the specific business processes that the project will address. In response to the needs of the organization, prepare a professional PowerPoint Presentation for the Executive Committee which will evaluate data needs for the organization so that an EHRS Development Team can be assembled. Refer to the Good Apples Group Case document in Module 1 and pay particular attention to 1) Clinical Decision Making and 2) Target Organizational Units found in that document. Your PowerPoint must include at least one slide to present each bulleted item below to the facility executive team. Be sure to logically title each slide in your presentation.
- List the primary sources/areas/departments within the organization which can be used to identify and gather user requirements. Show your understanding of the departments that are in a typical hospital; be specific and include a variety.
- List and briefly explain what departments that will be most impacted by an EHR system implementation and remember to include the Information Systems Department.
- List the methods that you would use to develop a comprehensive list of user requirements for the project. (Conduct research on the web or in our library on effectively using information gathering techniques such as structured interviews, focus groups, and surveys, in order to effectively address this section.)
- List at least 6 requirements that must be met in order for this project to address the needs expressed in the Good Apples Case document found in the project overview. Requirements should be specific to an EHR system development. Remember that a requirement is not the same as a general “goal.”
- Finally, make an EHRS Development Team Membership recommendation. List each proposed member by title and remember to include the Director of Information Systems Department.
Note that these requirements must focus on the needs of the facility and of the people who will be using the project as an alternative means of performing business processes they already perform.
Your PowerPoint should be approximately 5-8 slides in length. The final slide should be used as your resource page. Be sure to credit any resources used in the preparation of this submission.
Consider a project to install an electronic system that will control the dispensation and packing of drugs in a pharmacy. Prepare at least eight requirements that the pharmacy may have for this project. Be sure to include business, user, and technical requirements.