Modern psychopharmacology is largely the story of chemical neurotransmission. One must be fluent in the language and principles of chemical neurotransmission to:
- Understand the actions of drugs on the brain,
- Grasp the impact of diseases upon the central nervous system,
- Interpret the behavioral consequences of psychiatric medicines.
After studying Module 2: Lecture Materials & Resources, discuss the following:
- When a cell is stimulated or polarized, it fires an action potential. Explain the process and how neurotransmitters are dispersed to other neighboring cells across the synapse.
- Explain the concept of a drugs half-life.