The purpose of the case study is to have you expand upon the pathophysiological disease process by searching for evidence-based practice treatment and advanced practice nursing role implications related to the disease.
Case Study Topic:
Select a type of cancer (breast, lung, prostate, or colon cancer, melanoma, or any type of leukemia) and discuss the relationship of the disease process to the immune system.
Identify current evidence-based treatment modalities for the selected cancer and discuss how the treatment impacts the disease process.
Conduct an evidence-based literature search to identify the most recent standards of care/treatment modalities from peer-reviewed articles and professional association guidelines (www.guideline.govLinks to an external site.). These articles and guidelines can be referenced, but not directly copied into the clinical case presentation. Cite a minimum of three resources.
Include the following in your clinical case presentation:
- A discussion the pathophysiology of the disease, including signs and symptoms
- An explanation of diagnostic testing and rationales for each
- A review of different evidence-based treatment modalities for the disorder obtained from guideline.gov or a professional organization such as thyroid (Thyroid society), OB-GYN (ACOG), urology (AUA), etc.
Next, address the following questions:
- How does the information in this case inform the practice of a masters prepared nurse?
- How would the masters prepared nurse use this information to design a patient education session for someone with this condition?
- What was the most important information presented in this case?
- What was the most confusing or challenging information presented in this case?
- Discuss a patient safety issue that can be addressed for a patient with the condition presented in this case.