Week 2 – DiscussionNo unread replies.No replies.
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read chapters 3 and 4 from the course text.
For this discussion, you are tasked with comparing two hospitals, one that is considered a safety-net hospital (public hospitals who care for a large segment of the population who are uninsured or underinsured) and one hospital from a more affluent area in the state where you live.
Visit?he Joint Commission: Quality Check?Links to an external site.).Take the following steps to find two hospitals: https://www.qualitycheck.org/
- Enter a city and state, and then select?ocate.
A list of hospitals for that city and state will populate on the page. Select?iew Report.
- Select?iew Accreditation History. Next, select the most recent?uality Report, which will open as a PDF document. Scroll down to the pages that list the National Patient Safety Goals and then the National Quality Improvement Goals. Choose one from either list.
If you choose a National Patient Safety Goal,
- State the goal and the procedure(s) indicated in the?rganization Should
- Discuss the implications to the patient, staff (physicians, nurses, medical assistance, pharmacists, etc.) and hospital if the health care professional fails to follow the procedure indicated.
If you choose a Quality Improvement Goal,
- State the measure and explanation of that goal.
- Discuss how the hospital can improve their performance to meet the target.
- Repeat the above steps for a second hospital. Reminder, one hospital should be a safety-net hospital and one should serve an affluent community.
- Next, compare and contrast the differences between the two facilities. After review of the two hospitals, discuss your opinion about the reasons these hospitals could have disparities.
Your initial post should be 250 to 300 words and utilize at least one scholarly source from the University of Arizona Global Campus Library to justify your recommendations for improvement. Cite all sources in APA format as outlined in the Writing Center?s?ntroduction to APA?Links to an external site.). The?esearch, Keywords, Databases: An Overview?Links to an external site.)?ideo tutorial is available to help you become more familiar with the library database search features and how to generate keywords.