The purpose of this activity, based on the past three weeks of poetry investigation, is to craft an analysis essay using an outline.
- Write an essay in which you:
- Include a clear argumentative thesis statement about a theme in the poem you chose and the poetic elements you analyze.
- Take a Close Reading approach using poetry elements as proof and including phrases and lines from the poem as evidence, explaining each piece of evidence in terms of your thesis and the theme.
- Provide structure with an introduction, body paragraphs built around a central point, and ample evidence from the text that explains how and why the evidence supports the main idea of the paragraph and the thesis of the essay. Always repeat and return to the thesis or argument you are making.
- Cite your sources in-text.
- Finish with a conclusion that is both summative and engaging.
- Review the activities of Week 2 on Argumentative Writing and Analysis Essays to ensure you are on the right track.
- Post your essay