In this assignment you will review a case that deals with a client who has GERD.
Mrs. G. is a 45-year-old female arrives at the emergency department where you are working with complaints of burning pain in her chest and throat and a sour taste in her mouth. She states this pain has been going on for years after she eats certain foods. She has a large, extended family and does all of the cooking. She is Hispanic and likes to cook her special recipes because she believes that “these foods are good for herself and her family.” She is very proud of her cooking and believes that is one of her main contributions to her family. She has never been sick and does not like to take pills.
She is examined by the emergency room doctor and diagnosed with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). The doctor has ordered medication for you to administer. These medications include a proton pump inhibitor (Prilosec), and a Histamine 2 blocker (Pepcid). He also prescribes the proton pump inhibitor to be taken at home for the next two weeks. Mrs. G. starts to feel better and is ready for discharge. You will be providing the client teaching and discharge instructions about GERD.
In your discussion about GERD include:
- Dietary suggestions you would make
- What foods and liquids she should avoid
- What changes she should make
- Barriers she will face in making these changes and how they can be overcome
Include APA formatted references if used.
Please make it separate sheet from the bottom question thanks.
To prepare for the live classroom session and your written submission, use your chapter readings and course materials.
The focus for this live classroom is a discussion about diet therapy for a 58 year old woman who experienced her first MI and is being discharged home. She currently works full time and is divorced. She lives in an apartment and has no family in the surrounding community.
To prepare for the live classroom session and your written submission, use your chapter readings, review of videos, course materials, research, and written assignments.
Be prepared to discuss the following:
- What should be the focus for her nutritional history and assessment?
- What dietary recommendations should be made?
- What obstacles to staying on the diet recommended might this woman encounter?
- What special considerations should you, as a nurse, be aware of?
Some resources for Diet Therapies and the GI System:
- Dietary Guidelines http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/
- Gastroenterology Diets http://gicare.com/diets/gastroenterology-diets/
- International Foundation for Functional GI Disorders http://www.iffgd.org/
- National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www.niddk.nih.gov/Pages/default.aspx
- About GERD http://www.aboutgerd.org/
- About Constipation http://www.aboutconstipation.org/