You will watch and respond to podcast/video segments related to ethical situations. The purpose of these assignments is to expose you to common ethical dilemmas experienced by counselors, to develop your ethical decision-making skills, and to familiarize you with your particular state board of professional counseling rules and regulations.
To complete each assignment, you will need to access 3 sources:
- Your state board of professional counseling website. For more information on how to access your state board of professional counseling, search for your state board of professional counseling or marriage and family therapy (e.g., Texas State Board of Professional Counseling). Once you have found the website, you will need to find the prerequisite requirements for licensure. You may have to look around the website to find the information you need. Try looking under terms such as application for licensure or laws, policies, rules. Additionally, see How to Find Your State Board of Counselings Rules and Regulations under Additional Materials in Modules/Weeks 4 and 5.
- The American Counseling Associations (ACA) Code of Ethics
- A video vignette (these are from the websites assigned in the Reading & Study folders of the modules/weeks in which each paper is due)
- Summarize the video presentation.
- Summarize your state board rules/regulations that apply to the topic(s) discussed in the video. Make sure you provide the web address to your states rules and regulations in the reference page.
- Summarize the ACA Code of Ethics mandates that apply to the topic discussed in the video.
- Describe your reaction to the video.
- Describe how you will apply what you have learned from the video and your state board rules/regulations to your future practice as a professional counselor.
Once you have watched the video and read both your state board rules/regulations and the ACA Code of Ethics, write a 24-page paper that is divided into the following sections:Video is on youtube Can You Be Liable For Violent Acts Of A Patient Even If You Have No Duty To Warn? After watching each video in its assigned module/week, you will write a 24-page response paper. The paper must include at least 2 references and be in current APA format.
Your paper must be clearly written and well-thought-out, with proper grammar, spelling, and sentence structure. You must include a title page, abstract, and reference page.
When you have completed your paper, save your paper as a Microsoft Word document under your name and assignment title (Example: Doe_J_Ethical_Vignette_Paper_1).